Baked Sweet Potatoes with Black Beans & Vegetables
Yield 4 servings
- 4 large - Sweet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon - Olive oil
- 2 cups - Red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup - Onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon - Garlic, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons - Chili powder
- 1 teaspoon - Ground cumin
- 1 (14 to 15 oz.) can - Cut peeled tomatoes with juices
- 1 (15 to 16 oz.) can - Black beans, rinsed & drained
- 1 tablespoon - Jalapeno pepper, seeded & minced
- 4 - Lime wedges
- 1 cup - Plain low-fat yogurt
- ¼ cup - Cilantro leaves, minced
- ¼ cup - Green onion tops, thinly sliced
Rinse sweet potatoes thoroughly, but do not peel. Pierce with fork before baking.
Place on foil-lined baking pan to catch juices.
Bake at 350° until tender when pierced, 40 to 60 minutes, depending on size.
Meanwhile, combine oil, sweet red pepper & onions in large skillet.
Cook, stirring, until golden, about 10 mins. Add garlic and cook 1 minute.
Stir in chili powder & cumin along with tomatoes & beans.
Bring to boil. Cover and cook over low heat 20 minutes. Stir in jalapeno.
Season to taste with salt.
To serve, arrange 1 sweet potato on each dinner plate.
Split potato open and mash slightly with fork.
Spoon some black beans down center of each. Squeeze juice from lime wedge over each.
Top with 1 spoonful of yogurt. Sprinkle with cilantro and sliced green onions.