Gatto Di Patate (Mashed Potato Cake)
Cook the potatoes in lightly salted boiling water until very tender, about 15 minutes.
- 4 pounds -Potatoes, peeled & quartered
- 1 tablespoon - Salt
- 4 large - Eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup - Milk
- 6 tablespoons - Unsalted butter (plus extra for pan)
- ½ cup - Pecorino Romano cheese, freshly grated
- 1 cup - Boiled ham, chopped
- 4 slices - Napoli salami, chopped
- ½ cup - Provolone cheese, diced
- ¾ cup - Mozzarella cheese, diced
- ½ cup - Italian parsley, freshly chopped
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- ½ cup - Dried bread crumbs
Preheat the oven to 375°.
Pass the potatoes through a food mill or ricer into a large bowl, cool for five minutes.
Add eggs, milk, butter, pecorino, ham, salami, provolone, mozzarella & parsley.
Season well with salt & pepper and mash mixture until creamy.
Grease the bottom and sides of a 10" round baking pan (with at least 3" sides) with butter.
Coat with the bread crumbs.
Turn the potato mixture into the pan & smooth down evenly.
Sprinkle lightly with bread crumbs then gently press the crumbs into the potato mixture.
Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes.
Let rest for five minutes.
Pass the thin blade of a knife along the inside edge of the pan and, holding securely, invert the pan onto a serving platter.
Serve hot, at room temperature or cold.