Hearty Potato & Cheddar with Bacon Soup
- 1/4 pound - Smoked sliced bacon, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup - Butter
- 2 small - Leeks, trimmed & chopped
- 1 large - Onion, chopped
- 1 - Carrot, peeled, chopped
- 1 clove - Garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup - Flour
- 6 cups - Chicken stock
- 3 pounds - Potatoes, peeled, cut into 1/2" cubes
- 1 pound - Vermont sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/3 teaspoon - Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon - Fresh ground pepper
- 1 cup - Heavy cream
- Scallions or chives, for garnish
In a large saucepan cook bacon over medium-high heat until crisp.
Remove with slotted spoon, set aside.
Drain all but 1 tablespoon drippings.
Add butter and melt.
Add leeks, onion, carrots and garlic and cook for 5 minutes.
Stir in flour.
Gradually stir in chicken broth.
Bring to a boil.
Reduce heat, cook partially covered for 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
Place cheese in a large mixing bowl.
Stir in about a quarter of the hot soup, mixing until smooth.
Return cheese mixture to saucepan.
Gradually stir in heavy cream, salt and ground pepper.
Continue to heat soup until almost boiling.
Garnish with thinly sliced scallions or chives.