Mashed Potatoes with Caramelized Onions
- 1 tablespoon - Olive oil
- 1 tablespoon - Butter
- 4 cups - Yellow onions, peeled, quartered & thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon - Sugar
- 2 pounds - Potatoes, unpeeled & scrubbed
- 1 teaspoon - Salt, to taste
- ¼ teaspoon - Black pepper, to taste
- 1¼ cups - Low-fat milk, heated
In a large skillet, heat oil & butter over high heat until the butter is melted.
Add onions & sugar; cook, stirring often, until the onions are deeply browned, about 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, boil potatoes in water until very tender, 20-30 minutes.
Drain & let cool slightly.
Remove skins from the potatoes & mash.
Stir in salt, pepper & just enough hot milk to make the potatoes fluffy but not soupy.
Stir in the reserved onions & season with additional salt & pepper, if desired.