Cider Scalloped Potatoes
Preheat oven to 425°.
- 2 tablespoons - All-purpose flour
- 1 cup - Low-fat milk
- 1 cup - Apple cider
- 1/2 cup - Fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon - Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon - Black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon - Ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) - Smoked Gouda cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) - Reduced-fat Jarlsberg cheese, shredded
- 2 pounds - Yukon gold or yellow Finnish potatoes, peeled & thinly sliced
Place the flour in a medium saucepan.
Gradually add the milk, stirring with a whisk until blended.
Stir in cider, broth, salt, pepper & nutmeg; bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly.
Remove from heat.
Combine cheeses in a small bowl.
Arrange half of the potato slices in a shallow 3-quart casserole, and sprinkle with 1/2 cup cheese mixture.
Arrange the remaining potato slices on top.
Pour the cider mixture over the potatoes, and bake at 425° for 25 minutes.
Remove from oven; press potatoes with a spatula.
Sprinkle with 1/2 cup cheese mixture, and bake an additional 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
Let stand 10 minutes.