Green Moutain Potato Chowder
Bring beef broth to a boil and add potatoes, carrots, tomatoes, leeks, celery root, parsley, bay leaf, thyme, salt & pepper.
- 2 quarts - Beef broth, preferably homemade
- 1 pound - Maine potatoes, peeled & cut into ½" cubes
- 2 - Carrots, peeled & diced
- 3 - Tomatoes, diced
- 3 - Leeks, washed & sliced thin
- ½ - Celery root (Celeriac), diced
- 3 branches - Parsley, left whole
- 1 small - Bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon - Thyme
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 4 tablespoons - Sour cream or yogurt
- 4 slices - Pumpernickel bread
- 4 ounces - Bacon, thick sliced
Return to boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, dice the pumpernickel & the bacon.
Fry bacon in skillet until partly cooked, the add pumpernickel cubes and fry until bacon is dark and bread is crisp.
When vegetables are tender remove parsley & bay leaf and blend in sour cream or yogurt.
Adjust seasonings to taste.
Simmer for another minute.
Ladle chowder into serving bowls and garnish with croutons & bacon.
The flavor improves with reheating, so make chowder in advance if possible.